homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:31:51 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
Thank you for sharing that. I will bow to your knowledge of these types
of pacifist societies and will respectfully not post any more of my
opinions.

Feel free to post any opinion you like :-) . Guaranteed I've been subjected to worse already, so pretty impervious by now! If you'd like to be on the butt end of a little discrimination try growing up as one of a family of 21 OODunkard (common name for our group) kids and going out into the world dressed 'funny', talking 'funny', and having no clue whatsoever you're doing, or, for more fun, try raising an autistic kid before the diagnosis was common, much less one with a halo and respirator, looking like a nonhuman for years (dog bite), and a desire to go into the Marine Corps (said 'kid' made it into and through the Marine Corps and is now on active duty as an ATC with the VA Air National Guard). That'll land ya some rocks!

I've never been much swayed nor 'damaged' by what others think, and indeed much prefer an honest opinion to any sort of 'working around the issue', as it was called in eastern VA.
One of the things I like about living where I do is that people state their opinions, flat out, some rudely (and I don't see any need to be rude) but most simply stating facts. There are none of the sorts of things I had to cope with living in some other places, which were considered polite behavior there, but to me it's just plain ridiculous for someone to tiptoe all over the place trying to say something they think I don't want to hear.
I don't like my facts distorted and am quick usually to correct that, but beyond that, if I don't want to hear it, it's my problem, not theirs, unless they want something from me, so when people start putzing around, I always wonder what they want.....If they have something to say, say it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna agree. But that shouldn't matter any more to them than the other way 'round. Not saying, Bev, that I think you personally do that. This is just when/where the subject came up.

I'm well aware that I'm odd man out. I've been pummeled from one side and another, several times over. So far it's not keeping me awake at night :-) . So lay it out any way you see it.

SJ