homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:39:26 -0500

Like I said in my original post, no one wants war or conflict. Sane
people will always look for peaceful solutions, but in the end, to put
down the evilbadguy, they will fight or they will die. I don't think
there is a culture/human group on Earth that would not fight to survive.

Fighting to survive is NOT the same as aggressing against others. OF COURSE most people will defend themselves if attacked. It IS human nature to defend one's self. Defending yourself isn't aggressing or starting a war I was disagreeing with your statement:

"We are a warring species, plain and simple. We ask, and if we do
not get, then we demand, and if we do not get, then we take by force. I
believe this to be true of all humanity, whether that human is a
paleolithic tribe or NATO. "

To me, that statement is completely at odds with your statement that 'nobody wants war'. If nobody wanted war, we wouldn't have war. Obviously some people find it an acceptable thing to move troops into other countries and wage war. There are people...maybe the majority... who have never stolen from other people. Many (most?) people have never started a physical fight with another person. The fact that so many people do NOT display aggressive, war-like tendencies proves to me that we are NOT universally a warring species. That was the point I was trying (unsuccessfully, it seems) to make.

It is not the nature of some (most?) people to aggressively attack or steal from others, therefore it can't be a species-wide trait. I'd go as far as to say that Evilbullybadguys and the people who follow them are the minority. What percentage of people in the world have fought in a war? What percentage of the US population joins the military (1/100th?) Perhaps that's the percentage of the population with the 'warrior gene'? Evilbullybadguys are very disruptive, can attract or conscript others to help them, and are generally seen by the majority of the world to BE Evilbullybadguys. The fact that we see them as an aberration tells me that most people aren't like them.

Lynn Wigglesworth