homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:12:36 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
A better example might be that DISH TV
finds out that I Democratic and then suddenly I am bombarded not with
Dem ads, but with Republican ads hoping to change my mind. Or maybe
they tailor my advertising or even determine what shows I can
>access.

Isn't that business? They broadcast what sells.

Of course it is business...that "they" most often is a corporation
trying to maximize sales through minimalizing advertising by targeting
likely consumers.

They show the ads (Dem or
Repub) that they are paid to show.

Right, but don't you ever wonder or think about why that certain ad was
chosen for that particular viewing market? Negative ads may work in one
market, but not another, or perhaps the majority of this subset of
subscribers is worried more about their sons and daughters in Iraq than
about the economy, therefore ads talk about ending the war vs. economic
plans..etc. If you live in a 'bastion' of liberalism like Asheville NC
<VBG-see I do learn from this list..lol> you will see far different
political ads than if you lived in say Sandy, UT, don't you see that?

Can DISH TV customize what an individual
household sees? I have basic cable, and I get whatever 12 stations
the cable company sends out...I get a station from Chicago, they are
in a different time zone, and it messes with my head when the 10:00
news comes on at 11:00. It's interesting to listen to Chicago news,
though. That's a scary place...incredible amount of violence.

I get Chicago stations, too, and I know what you mean about time
difference messing with your head. :)
But yes, the technology exists for individualization. I can punch my
remote control and order a PPV movie or fight..that same technology can
be used in different ways to customize further.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda