homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:25:50 -0500

What if that selectiveness becomes more than advertising...like the
example I gave about spinning news stories.

That's why we have the internet. I read many different news sites, both left and right. I try to balance out all the biases.

Some of you who live in more liberal areas than me were totally against
Sarah Palin, for example. You guys heard stories about her that I never
heard-that weren't reported here.

My area is as rightwing as you can get. Solid red. There wasn't a single Obama yard sign in sight. Everything I heard about Palin came from the internet. My 'local' news doesn't come from around here, anyway. One TV station is from about 50 miles away, the rest are from much further.

I suppose you
could make the case that all the information I found on him was public
since much of it was from his own websites, but that is a lot of
information.

If he openly puts all this information out there, he must be proud of his life and accomplishments, as we all should be. If he lives in a trendy neighborhood, is an activist, and still hugs trees, 'them' knowing all that stuff hasn't affected his life. Maybe if you offer all that information openly, it CAN'T be used against you....if it's public knowledge, it becomes a non-issue. Like the cameras at Walmart, if you don't care that everyone knows "I went to Walmart today", 'them' knowing that you went to Walmart today has no power.

Lynn Wigglesworth