homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 05:27:31 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 12/1/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> That's the part I don't believe. I watch bureaucrats struggle, trying to
> figure out who I am or where my information went...I can't imagine that
> 'they' could manage anything so complex.

**** That was the point of the NYT article. Gathering so much information ,
including minutia, in a useful manner for an effectuve purpose 'is' complex.
But, once the math is done, the algoriths discovered; the complexity is just
another nano-second function for a machine. And then the information becomes
harder to protect than it was to identify

If, for example, my appendix were to get inflammed, I'd have to decide if I
risk dying or risk losing everything through bankruptcy...not a pretty
choice.That's the kind of thing I worry about. It's not a 'potential'
problem; it's real and people are struggling right now because of it.

***** That is the kind of thinking tht brought us the patr*iot act ( I'm not
comdemning your thinking, just saying what I think is true, about our society
acceptance of our governance in general). Things were so terrible, so "real"
immediate' and 'imminent', that we'll worry about 'potential' problems later.
Let us make everyone safe "right now"

p.s. The struggle with the issue of medical care affects almost everyone.
It is certainly a big deal in all of my choices. bobf