homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:52:03 -0500

I know this is long...I promise not to write anymore on this
topic...lol..just trying to be helpful.. :)

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I do care about important infringements, but I can't get too worked up about "they might" or "they can", when there is no proof that they
ARE doing it. As I said in another post, my grocery store's website
swears that they never share (give or sell) customer information
from the Wildcard.

I looked up your store, and Caspian gives two thumbs up, which is a
good sign that you don't have to worry as much as the rest of us, so
Lynn you have yet another reason to feel good about where you are
living! :)
All of the grocery stores in my area get bad marks.
Oh, and I'm not saying that anyone's store does this, but I learned
today that databases can also be 'rented', and generally speaking, there
are no laws preventing sharing of db's so when push comes to shove and a
store needs to increase profits, you might find them willing to
compromise their moral principles, because selling/renting is not
illegal. Knowing that there is no oversight, really, is what is so
disturbing to me, I think. You want to believe in the goodness of
people and businesses, but we are in an Orwellian world.

Today I sent more emails to all my reps telling them that I don't want uniformed military acting (againt federal law) inside the US. I
also gave them my opinion of Homeland Security, and how it is taking
away personal liberties and shouldn't be backed up by armed
military. Watching for black helpcopters.....

Lynn Wigglesworth

Good for you. If more people became active and expressed their opinions
and beliefs, we would have a better country.

All of this talk about privacy has me rethinking my own paranoia<g>. I
feel like I am getting the flu, so what better thing to distract myself
from all of this acheyness that a few websearches.
I wanted to know about Data Mining, so I started first at Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining
A primer from About.com
http://databases.about.com/od/datamining/Data_Mining_and_Data_Warehousing.htm

GAO says data mining is extensive(has links to the actual report)
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2004/05/63623

This is an interesting 'state of affairs' note from Patrick Leahy
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200701/011007.html

This is a Korean article, but it made me think about how our government
might do the same thing..
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2005092477448

Recently, I got into a lot of trouble on the list for implying that
there were apparently multiple media sources...how do we know that I am
not seeing a story slanted one way, because my area is conservative and
Republican leaning, and that you are seeing the same story slanted
another way, with more liberal commentary. It is all in the
editing..The media can lead you down a chosen path..for example..
story is that Obama appoints Clinton as SoS..you local media outlet may
announce this and blanket with opinionated interviews about what a great
choice it was...whereas my local media outlet blankets the story with
criticism. People are now to the point where they walk blindly down the
path they are led, you know? A better example might be that DISH TV
finds out that I Democratic and then suddenly I am bombarded not with
Dem ads, but with Republican ads hoping to change my mind. Or maybe
they tailor my advertising or even determine what shows I can access.
Perhaps Bob wants to watch RFDTV, but his cable provided out there in
Phoenix just doesn't offer that. Data mining is related to
demographics and helps businesses make marketing decisions. How far
that goes is anyone's guess...how far it will go is anyone's guess, but
I don't think it is looking good.

Other assorted stories:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/internetprivacy/2006-07-11-data-mining_x.htm

http://news.cnet.com/Panel-New-rules,-tech-needed-for-data-privacy/2100-1029_3-5857176.html
Do a google search on the companies listed in that article.. Acxiom and
Choicepoint. The latter gives me nightmares..their security has been
breeched multiple times.
My former employer used them for background checks. You probably
remember this story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30897-2005Feb16.html

Note the list of government agencies involved in Data Mining..the "They"
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2005/08/29/daily13.html?jst=b_ln_hl

This is a bit scary..
http://www.counterbias.com/347.html

Bev in NW Georgia, where my deck is covered in sleet(melting as it hits)
and visibility is very low..I can't see anything but sleet/snow! Big
ol' flakes coming down, but not sticking to the ground, just the deck
rails. Feels like winter.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda