homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:15:55 -0700

On Nov 9, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The lesson I have learned is that as you make your life and lifestyle more
and more modest, the problems you were worried about solving begin to evaporate.
The squirreling away of money is a very good example. How are you going to
convert those tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) into anything you
can effectively and safely store?? As you approach the type of lifestyle being
described, it isn't a problem.

If we are talking substantial cash, then after acquiring those items I previously listed, I would recommend buying more land, ideally land that is contiguous to your present homestead land. There is no sum of money any of those on this list might have that cannot be fully spent on land. Owning more land around you gives greater assurance of conditions staying as you like them.