homestead - Re: [Homestead] Orlov on nomadic living

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Orlov on nomadic living
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:16:04 -0500

> Do you intend to stay Nomadic; or are you leaninf toward settling in the
> Ozarks, or are you still deciding? I'm worried that the nomadic thing
> could be a bit of trouble because of police and (pirate type) roadblocks
> and searches: 'if', things become really bad.

I personally do not think things will get that bad thought there are
possibilities. One of the proposals in the never presented Patriot II act
was a requirement that anyone being away from their home for a period of
time must tell local authorities and much also notify local authorities
where they were staying. Than would never have passed but it is unsettling
that someone thought it was important.

A little known part of the existing patriot act is a requirement that banks
limit money transfers to six a month. That is you cannot transfer money
within your accounts more than six times a month. I hit this roadblock
before I knew it existed.

What I think will slow a nomadic life is the ever increasing price of fuel.
Fuel prices are low now for a variety of reasons, all more or less
temporary. I personally hope they stay low but expect them to resume the
relentless climb upwards when and if the economic situation stabilizes and
growth resumes.

As for me, I would like to have a touch of both worlds. By establishing a
base in the Ozarks and going to something smaller I could travel to visit
sons in California and North Carolina. Maybe even set up a situation where
summers are in the Ozarks and winters in warmer California. The future
remains quite clouded.

Don Bowen KI6DIU