homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:55:14 EST

In a message dated 11/9/2008 10:08:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
don.bowen AT earthlink.net writes:

I have almost finished this book. Dmitry Orlov lived in the US but had
extensive business travel to the former USSR as it was collapsing. In his
book he describes the social and cultural systems that helped the people of
the USSR survive the collapse with minimal disruption. He then compares
those structures to the structures in the US to show why a collapse will be
much harder on the population. As one small example, few people in the USSR
owned their homes so during the collapse there was no one at the door
telling them to get out. Here in the US most of us are making payments to a
bank or landlord. If we can no longer pay we are forced onto the street. I
am not sure how accurate his descriptions are but that is just one of
several comparisons.

The later part of the book is how we can better survive a collapse he fully
expects to see here. He sees a collapse of the US driven by economic forces
exacerbated by ever rising energy prices which then force a political
disruption. He paints a rather dire picture but does many several
interesting suggestions. One of which is to help as many people as you can
to build up good will points. As things become more difficult those people
will provide the support network needed.

Here is another suggestion on how to get ready for an economy where money is
scarce or non existent.

"This is then the correct stance vis a' vis the money economy: You should
appear to have no money or significant possessions. But you should have
access to resources, such as food, clothing, medicine, places to stay and
work and even money. What you do with your money is up to you. For example
you could simply misplace it, the way squirrels do with nuts and acorns. Or
you can convert it into communal property of one sort or another. You
should avoid getting paid, but you should accept gifts and, of course, give
gifts in return. You should never work for money, but always donate your
time and effort charitably. You should have a minimum of personal
possessions, but plenty to share with others. Developing such a stance is
hard, but, once you do, life actually gets better. Moreover, by adopting
such a stance, you become collapse-proof."

Something to think on.

Don Bowen KI6DIU