homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:58:02 -0700

On Nov 9, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

The thing I got out of that was a better place for your money is in communal
goods. In a later section he talks of career possibilities and mentions a
carpenter who puts money into hand tools. He also mentions a substitute for
money is to help people as an outright gift and accept gifts in return.

Much or all of those suggestions fit the homesteader plan. In the ideal homesteader's world, very little cash is needed. Thus, very little tax is paid, ideally none at all. Tools of large assortment, hardware items, seeds, real and perceived necessities such as clothes, bedding, toiletries and detergents, anything that the homestead cannot produce are all good places to spend cash. I personally think that too much emphasis is placed on barter goods such as ammunition, alcoholic beverages, gold and silver.