homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:10:53 EST

> > I personally think that too
> much emphasis is placed on barter goods such as ammunition, alcoholic
> beverages, gold and silver.

Exactly! Way too much.

A family I know pretty well told my yesterday that in preparing for the very
had times they see coming, the son of the family (19) is studying with
someone
on how to make automatic weapons. More properly probably is how to convert
semi-auto to auto.

The notion is that in some sort of apocolyptic Mad Max world, the ability to
do so would be this barter skill.

In the mean time they are neglecting gardening skill, butchering skill,
cheese making skill, etc.

I am not making this up. When I was by to visit them a week or so ago, they
asked what type of corn made the best hominy. It so happened that in the
space behind the seat there was a great heap of unhusked ears of Hickory King
corn, so I told them I could do one better than tell them, I'd give them
enough
for a big batch of hominy.

The woman admired the big, full ear of corn for a minute, cautiously peeled
back the end of the husk to see the pearly white kernals, then put the husk
back in place. She asked, "Well, when you boil it in the lime water as
you've
described, do you boil the whole ear husk and all?"

But instead they are concentrating on that all important automatic weapons
skill.

Gene has a paramount point here. If things should get close to the bone, you
would be much gladder of that toilet paper and soap than gold.

James