homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reinventing Collapse by Dmitry Orlov
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:01:46 EST

> >Actually, if you were really certain of high or hyper-inflation, the smart
> move, now, would be to acquiore as musc debt as possible, now, and lock in
> the present interest rates. If inflations only reacheas 25% (got there
> during
> Carter), in less than 3 years , your monthly payments would be half , in
> inflation-adjusted real money, what they would be at present.

Bob, you know I'm on your side, and I know you post this above only as
observation, not recommendation nor what you intend on doing.

But let me say that this is the mother and father of all loser's philosophies.

Following just such logic, I know many a person who had a mortgage at, say,
5% and then they had the means to pay most of it off. BUT at the time mutual
funds were paying 9%. The math said to invest the money.

The rhetorical question always asked was, 'If your house were paid for and
free and clear, would you borrow money against it to play the stock market??"

The answer was always a horrified "NO!".\

But by investing in stocks and failing to pay your mortgage, you are doing
the very same thing!

Debt is always a bad idea if there is any other way under the sun to conduct
your affairs. Always. As you watch time go by, those who avoid debt
prosper,
those who embrace it soon or late are consumed by it.

James