homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:52:29 -0700

On Nov 8, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

The key is not the ground but the shade. Mesquite trees are well
adapted here. They shade the ground, whether that ground is covered
with grass or gravel.

Therein lies the whole secret. As pointed out people lived in the desert
for many thousands of years before air conditioning. They did it by
adopting to the weather and available water. In the valley floor in winter,
into the hills in summer.

Fun finds in the Phoenix Mountains Preserve two blocks from the house where Benny and I stretch our legs are the occasional holes in the ground, obviously places where someone got down into the earth to stay cool. I expect they had little in the way of roof beyond branches. Not sure how they handled heavy rain when it occasionally came down.