homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:37:24 -0800

Now, if I didn't know better, I'd say this was written by one of those ignorant yahoos from So. Cal.

For starters, a LARGE % of golf courses in AZ use recycled sewer water.

Second, you don't have to have a water hog garden to have vegetation which anyone with little bit of sense knows! You can have grass lawns by using buffalo grass. Takes 1" of water a month. Grown specifically for that purpose. Duh!

Xeroscaping produces beautiful landscaping with little or no water and it isn't all succulants!

Ignorance, I don't give a damn, I want mine, and I'll excuse my unexcusable behavior by pointing the finger at someone else doing it are just plain, to be blunt, stupid and the reason this world is in the condition it is in!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Yes. You are feeling evapotranspiration, water coming up from the
grass. Just as sweating cools us, evapotranspiration cools the soil.
The pertinent point here is water usage.

Full disclosure. I use so much water here in Phoenix that I have
received a letter from the water people and I have been visited by a
water employee who thought maybe I had a big leak somewhere. No leaks.
Just a homeowner who does not much like conditions here except for the
absence of bugs and the mild winters.

My position is simple. I like lots of vegetation. Vegetation likes
lots of water. I pay whatever the price.

When golf courses are shut down I will take water rationing seriously.

If I were planning to stay here I would construct a graywater system.