homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:04:22 -0700

My houses faces west, the worst possible direction in phx. If I had dsert landscaping the rocks would absorb the western sun all afternoon , making my house/property hotter during the already hot days, and then throw part of it toward the house in the evening , making it even harder to cool the house.....bobford

The key is not the ground but the shade. Mesquite trees are well adapted here. They shade the ground, whether that ground is covered with grass or gravel.