homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:32:12 -0500

> There was plenty of water, for the people when I moved here. Phoenix is
> a valley which has been inhabited by humans for thousands of years.
> Indians built canals to bring water from the snows up north and from the
> Colorado long before Our ancestors converted to Christianity.

No one expected the sun belt to grow as it did. Cheap hydro energy to power
cheap home air conditioning units made living in the desert possible. The
same dams that made the cheap hydro also kept winter snow melt from being
"wasted" out to sea so it could be used for other things. Without cheap
energy much of the south becomes a hard place to live in the summer.

Don Bowen KI6DIU