homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water Crisis Coming Soon
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 12:25:03 EST

> >When I was young , no one would have thought GA would run short of clean
> water. Don't think it can't happen in PA.

Oh, Geeeze, Bob, not the old 'it could happen to you' ploy. That's what we
hear from the 360lb guy who eats a dozen cheeseburgers a day, 'OH, yeah, so I
had a heart attack. Well, don't think it can't happen to you!" The
implication being that eating a bucket of grease a day and weighing more than
1/6th of
a ton had nothing to do with the coronary problems.

I'm older than you and *!* heard about the potential for water problems in
Atlanta when I was a boy. When *you* were a boy, I was living in Atlanta
and
every time there was an application for another housing project, the concern
was raised that the water source could be taxed beyond prudence.

Lynn's point is well taken. Here we are in the 4th year of drought and the
second year of "very severe" drought. We've had to adjust, but it's a
drought.
It happens. The first three years we homesteaded here were drought an when
I was doing a great bit of gardening locally in '78 and '79 there was a
drought. But it goes away.

You, on the other hand, have chosen to live in a desert. There isn't any
water there (have you noticed), there never has been and there never will be.

So I'd have to point out that in Lynn's case, yes, she can think it will
never happen to her. She does not live in a place that has not had enough
regular rainfall to sustain agriculture for the past million years and no
prospects
of rain for the next million. When she does have rain, it comes directly
down
from God, not the Water Board (probably what inspired calling the torture
'water boarding'). Unless someone is going to run around all over her
acreage
with wash tubs and take the rain from her when it falls, it will never happen
her.

It did rain here last night. A pitance but we water-paupers can't be
choosers!

James