homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da ...Politics of personal destruction

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Who's Da ...Politics of personal destruction
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:03:49 -0600

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
wrote:
> It was here...anti-Obama, all day, every day. They concentrated a lot of
> negativity on Pennsylvania (I'm glad it didn't work...fear and
> hate-mongering should NEVER work). The Republicans were showing Rev. Wright
> and Ayers ads here right up until election day. Every day. Twenty times a
> day. They had ads with Palin saying "he doesn't see America the way we do",
> and "he launched his political career in the living room of a terrorist"
> with lots of scary picture of things burning, and mug shots of Ayers. Maybe
> only the swing states got these ads, but they were constant and negative for
> the last month or so of the election.

The ads were effective in one respect. Threats against the Obamas
increased as the ads got more vitriolic. Maybe now that the ads are
off the air, people will calm down.

I, too, am not sure why Fox News is attacking Palin because, like
Lynn, I thought she'd be allowed to go quietly back to Alaska (where
she can run for the Senate when Ted Stevens steps down or is booted
out of the Senate). With a few years in the Senate she would be able
to learn a lot more about national and international issues, and she
wouldn't be at the mercy of memorized talking points.

During the campaign Sam Harris wrote a long piece in Newsweek about
her being not ready because she didn't know anything about the issues.
As I say, it's long: http://www.newsweek.com/id/160080/output/print

Marie