homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gene's guide to buying a new car

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gene's guide to buying a new car
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:10:00 EST

> >When gas prices were at their zenith many dealers were offering gas
> guzzlers at panic sale prices all across the country. But of course
> you already knew that.

If the dealers bought the cars from the manufacturer for a "dealer's cost"
they would not be able to offer those vehicles at a panic sale price and fail
go out of business.

Holding the title to cars for sale is like holding commodity futures.
Individual dealers can't do it. They would be taking a risk that they would
be
buying a car for $20,000 or so and never be able to sell it. That risk is
absorbed by investors on a much broader scale.

A car dealer does not own the car any more than you owned the houses you
sold. You were up front that you would take an offer to the owner and see if
they
agreed. The only real difference with a car dealer is that they are
pretending as if they own the car and are taking a personal loss if they sell
it to you
for too little.

Sorry you find it a smart-ass observation, but I find it no end of amusing
that you got taken in by the old $500 over dealer cost ploy.