homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gene's guide to buying a new car

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gene's guide to buying a new car
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:25:00 EST

> > Now , neither of us are car salesmen, but I do know for what my car
> generally sells

"Generally" yes. You intimated that you knew you paid $150 over the
"dealer's cost". If it was a new car, you had no way of actually knowing
that. Even
a used car traded to or sold to a dealer also does not have the sale price
recorded anywhere in public records.

You were basing you decision on a guess. It might have been a very good
guess, it might have been an acurate guess, but it was a guess none the less.

My 'babe in the woods' comment is in reference to a belief that one knows
what a the actual cost of the vehicle is when they sit down to negotiate with
dealer.

And, you are right, I am not a car salesman. I'm not a grocery store bag-boy
either, and yet that does not preclude me knowing as much or more about the
cost of food as he does.