homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic Salsa

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic Salsa
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:16:48 -0400

Basic "fresh" salsa for people who don't like to cook.

Get yer maters, fresh ones are better than boxed, tinned is not worth having. Skin 'em or not, up to you. Chop as roughly or finely as YOU like.. Dump tomato juice or not, as you like it, I like thin, runny salsa so I chop finely and leave the juice in.

Now, here is where you are going to argue with me, but do it this way just once, ok? Get garlic salt. Add one small spoonful at a time to your maters. Taste as you go. Stop adding when it tastes right to you. Taste using your chips, NOT a spoon cause some chips are so salty as to throw the whole thing off. You could just eat this and be perfectly happy. But...if you want to do more....

Then and ONLY then, add ONE THING AT A TIME in order of preference. Taste as you go.

Suggestions: Chopped or minced onion. STOP. A teeny squeeze of lime juice. STOP. Chopped cilantro or dried cumin. STOP. Minced peppers. STOP.

When you've made it a couple of times with the garlic salt, and are feeling confident, use fresh garlic instead. 1 part garlic for 3 parts salt.

This is pretty much idiot proof, and fast. It's not haute cuisine but when you NEED salsa....you need it, am I right?

If you chill it, you will probably find yourself wanting to add more salt.

I couldn't ever get it right until I did it this way a couple of times.

When you're ready, I have a really good fresh salsa recipe from Rick Bayless which is yummy, but he's got some fiddly bits in the prep.