homestead - [Homestead] Garlic sauce

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garlic sauce
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:50:10 -0400

Zankou Chicken is an Armenian chicken place with several locations in Los
Angles. My son and I go there and get half a chicken with Hummus and Pita
bread along with an extra order of garlic sauce then smell of garlic the
rest of the day. I usually get an extra tub to take home. Recently while
riding around he told me to avert my eney as we were passing a place he
thought better than Zankou's. I keep asking him to take me there.

Zankou Garlic Sauce
Here's the recipe from the chowhound forum (a bunch of people got together
and worked it out):
Peel three small russet potatoes and boil in water until soft. Mash the
potatoes and let cool.

Crush and peel a whole head of garlic (about 12 large cloves). Cut into
quarters. Place raw garlic in a heavy duty blender with 1/2 tbsp. of salt
and juice of two large lemons (about 1/3 cup). Pour 1/2 cup of oil into a
measuring cup and pour a small amount of oil from cup onto garlic (just
enough for a light layer). Puree the garlic, salt and lemon juice on "Hi"
and begin pouring a slow, steady stream of oil through the blender's handle
hole until everything has coalesced.

Add the mashed potatoes, about 2-3 tablespoons at a time. Add more potato
after the sauce becomes consistent, and keep adding until all is
incorporated in the sauce. You might want to transfer the garlic paste to a
mixer before this step and add the potatoes in the mixer.

Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely in the fridge. After about
an hour the flavors will blend together nicely and the texture will take on
that library paste consistency like Zankou 's sauce.

In a frying test the sauce held together in the frying pan, even as it
started to sear and transform into some sadistic latke.

Here are the ingredients again in an easier to read format:

-3 small russet potatoes
-1 head of garlic (12-14 cloves)
-1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
-1/2 tbsp. salt
-1/2 cup canola oil

Here is another garlic sauce from a friend of my father in law.
Adamo sauce
1 pod garlic, peel and chop fine
1 onion chopped fine
2 tbsp Chopped Parsley
1 can whole tomatoes, chopped
Mix well together with 3-4 tbl olive oil

Don Bowen KI6DIU