homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:39 -0400

There are great used book stores on the web. Abe books is one I use if I want to pay for something but there's also paper back book swap....I love that place cause more people get rid of good hardback cook books and other goodies than you can shake a stick at. I am thrilled there are also two used books stores in town.

I just picked up about 30 used kids CLASSICS....and I do mean old classics, from the Tompkins County Library Used book store....The Bobbseys, a bunch of Alcotts, not just Little Women but the Eight Cousins series I loved, a Little Prince with glorious illustrations, ditto a whole Narnia series, the Five Little Peppers, just amazing old books. We just finished Pinnochio...holy cats was it different than the disneyfied version I remember. The Secret Garden was the one previous to that, she was enthralled. Most of today's childrens' books are so dumbed down, these are so nice to read aloud. Real words!

If anyone would like to recommend their childhood favs, I'd be grateful!