homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:32:17 -0400

On Oct 27, 2008, at 10:19 PM, william Eggers wrote:

When I was young I read a book called East of the Sun and West of the Moon. I am no longer sure what is was about, but then I just could not put it down. My father had a set of books about the old Squire. It was about a farm family in Maine just after the Civil War. I also read all of Shakespeare when I was 9 and 10 because my Father said they were filth and dirty books and would not let us read them. I had to find out about the filth and the dirty part, so I read them all. You can imagine my surprise when we had to read them in school. Dirty books is school. How about that!

I'll look for that, too. One movie she likes very much was a recently remade version of "Midsummer's Night Dream", with people like Kevin Kline and Calista Flockheart, amongst others. We've watched that loads of time. I love that modern techniques can make classic material so much more accessible.