homestead - Re: [Homestead] High speed Internet in the country

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] High speed Internet in the country
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:15:37 -0400

You're right of course, I do love my hills, but I'd even settle for 56K speed-it'd be twice as fast as what I have.
There is a Hughesnet commercial that mocks dialup and it shows a 'dailup' screen on the right and a Hughesnet screen on the left..My best friend and I cracked up laughing as their dailup speed must have been 3 times as fast as what we have out here. I assume they were using 56kbps as a comparison speed.
Do you not have tree fall with 70 mph winds up there? If we have anything over about 45 mph, we are losing trees. I'd have trees on the house with 70mph winds. I have the crack and crevice problem, too. I stuff rags and towels around windows. This year, Ron is going to make some plastic window 'screens' to hopefully cut down on the wind. I only intend to use them on the south side though, because I enjoy looking out the north windows-front of house. It is so wooded behind us, no warming sun gets through anyway, but the wind surely does. We need to add some attic insulation as well. So much to do, no money to do it! We are also going to make some real window screens to fit the back windows as well. Then, we will just take off the plastic frames in the Spring and put on the screened frames, and then in the Fall, reverse it. We made window screens for the front of the house, and the back used to have screens, but the tornado damaged 2/4, one was torn by 'something' that I suspect was a kid(2 legged), and the other one fell off the sill, somehow got bent up and then was ravaged by trumpet and honeysuckle vines. So for the last few years, we haven't even had screens on the back/south side of the house. I'd like to replace the windows to something that would be energy efficient, but again, no money to do it!

So exactly what are you stuffing and how, and is there any particular reason you are using red fleece?

Bev

SJC wrote:

That's the price we get to pay for our hills! For me, it's fine, don't have and don't want a signal.....fortunately....and do want my hills.

SJ, who's been stuffing red fleece (wool) tightly into cracks all day, courtesy of the 70mph winds, which blow in and point out where the wool needs to go.