homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old books

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old books
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:37:20 -0700

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:23 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

This is true here. I don't use the library much because
they don't often order books I read. The general
population wants fluffy fiction, so that's what they
serve. All controversial books conveniently "disappear"
from their holdings, no doubt incinerated in someone's
burn pile.

But they provide good kid's programs and Internet access,
and a charming location for community building so we
always help them raise money. They get almost nothing from
the government.

In an ideal world, communities provide what they choose in the way of education and public services.

In this morning's Phoenix main online newspaper is an article about how the libraries here are becoming increasingly overloaded with customers at the same time funds are being cut back.