homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:17:20 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

So you would go to the police. Do you see how that would escalate the situation?

I see it as the only way to fight the situation. If someone chooses to escalate bad behavior, so be it. Getting a gun would be my next step, but I'd prefer not to go there. I don't understand where you are going with this. If someone wants your money and will break into your house to get it...do you let him do it because to do otherwise might make him mad? Or is it shoot, shovel, and shut up? (or the city version of shoot, dump the body in the river, and shut up) ;-)

A few days back I made a comment that my tolerance ends when my survival is threatened. That's where I was going, just to make that point. I think that is natural..after playing by your own live and let live rules, if that did not work, you play by society's rules, i.e. you go to police/government/authority, and if that doesn't work, then one reverts to the animalistic fight or flight choice, either running away or picking up a weapon.
I think this is done on an individual scale and on a national scale, even hemispherical scale. It will eventually all boil down to fight or flight, until there is nowhere to go.

Personal freedoms only extend
until they start to take away someone else's personal freedoms. The majority rules on where those lines are.
But in our overcrowded world, it is almost impossible for incringement not to happen. Majority rules? If majority rules, then intolerance gains a foothold. It cannot be majority rules if everyone's liberties are to be protected. Maybe I misunderstood you somewhere.

You are right, and intolerance HAS gained a foothold. People's liberties are NOT protected. They are slowly being taken away.

Ok, so let's go back to what you said before, the first and second sentences above. Playing devil's advocate, if the majority is not supposed to draw the line...who does?

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan