homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:26:35 EDT

Bev - I never mind you thinking out loud. It often makes the rest of us
think inside our heads until whatever eventually comes out makes some sense!

I regret not being a movie person. My neighbor and best friend, and my own
brother, both make a living (or part of their living) making indeoendent
films,
and - in my brother's case - also singing and composing music.

I have trouble, on the one hand - in one level of my brain - recognizing
cinema as an art form. Something tells me if it's not written, or sculpted,
or
painted, or cooked from scratch, it ain't art.

The other level of my brain says that if these people, who I dearly love and
admire, consider film to be 'art', that they must be right. I can see a
'still' as being art, but the minute it starts to move, it gets all cartooney
in
my head.

Dialogue is something else. It can be written - and therefore can be read.

I am sure a lot of this nonsense stems from being allowed to read under the
covers with a flashlight (like the grown-ups didn't KNOW). I spent my
after-school hours at the tiny local library, and the librarian was a little
old
lady who was a regular dinner guest.

I swept up every day, just to help out. We had a chart by the front door (of
the library) where 'readers' got a gold star for each book they read, and -
at the end of the week - the 'winners' would get a prize - which I now
realize
was just a cheap little gold charm from the neighborhood five-and-dime. But
they were real gold to me. I came away with the enjoyment of the reading
itself, and the praise of the adults, which was priceless then, and probably
not
worth much now.

Part of the deliciousness of the written word.

I didn't 'get' the parts of this thread having to do with lesbians or any
other such - will have to go back when I have time and see whassup.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 10/10/2008 4:14:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,