homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:47:38 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:

Ok, so let's go back to what you said before, the first and second sentences above. Playing devil's advocate, if the majority is not supposed to draw the line...who does?

I think the majority SHOULD make the rules; that's the way a democracy works. I would hope that they would provide for a lot of personal freedoms, but I'm seeing people hand over more and more power to the government.

But Lynn, when majority rules on where to draw the line on tolerance, very often, it is done unfairly to the minority party. For a literal example, consider the busing issue during the time we were transitioning from educational segregation to integration. If it were right that majority should rule, then there would be no integration. The line would have been drawn at the RR tracks or wherever. Today, we know that even if there is only 1 person of a minority population in a larger population, that person has the same rights as the rest of the population, and even if that person is Satan, Satan's spawn still have a right to go to school with your kids.
Shoot, I got distracted and lost my train of thought...oh well...later..

Bev
--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan