homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:03:43 EDT

> >I would like to know how you guys define intolerant.

There is a problem, says I, with the whole concept of 'tolerance'.

In order to tolerate something, you have to have a bad opinion of it to begin
with.

I don't drink coffee. I don't dislike it, I think it is quite healthful,
doesn't cost all that much, I gladly make it for everyone else in the family,
but
I never drink it.

I don't 'tolerate' coffee drinkers. I simply have no qualms, issues, or
problems with them.

On the other hand, I have a low opinion of smoking and smokers. It doesn't
mean I hate them or wish them ill, it's just that I refuse to pretend that it
or they are not stupid and lacking in some measure of lead in their pencil.
So
I tolerate them.

The whole notion of 'tolerance' means you have some issue with the thing you
are tolerating. Like my example with coffee, unless you have an issue with
it, it doesn't come up at all does it?

Therefore when someone says they are tolerant, it is a confession that they
harbor ill thoughts or ill feelings toward the people being tolerated.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>