homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intolerance, was Christian faith
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:00:50 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; do you have an answer?

Of course not! I thought you had it all figured out...lol..
Worse, I never did regain my train of thought!

Any good answer though would also have to be a good answer on a large scale...what would work in a city, should also work on a global scale.

Just for everyone else's sake, the original question was something like this: Where do you draw the line between tolerance and intolerance when all else fails and negotiation/compromise doesn't work. How do you settle a conflict..Is it majority rule? Is it violence? Does it go from majority rule to violence until somebody backs down or gives in? And what if, due to beliefs, nobody says 'uncle'...do we fight to the death? If it is majority rule, where is the line for that? In the South, you might find more Republicans than Democrats, in the Northeast, you might find more Democrats than Republicans...where do you draw the line and say "this area" now majority rules...I guess that is why gerrymandering is a big deal, huh. What about on an email list like this...is it majority rule, or vocal minority rule, or do you wait for Lee to step in and lay down a law?(I think we'd be waiting a while<G>)

Perhaps the lesson is that each individual should stand up for the weaker party...Sandy stands up for me, I stand up for you, you stand up for Gene, etc....so that pretty soon, that mean old bully James<g> backs down because he is outnumbered....we monitor ourselves...So, if we monitor ourselves here, why can't we do it out there? (Hey, it works in the movies...ever seen the movie, In and Out..too funny...at the end, when Kevin Kline(who came out of the closet) is being maligned by Bob Newhart, the whole crowd begins to stand up to support him by saying something like Well, I'm Howard's mother, and I'm Gay...(said by Debbie Reynolds of all people)....it's a great movie if you haven't seen it..Tom Selleck is a scene stealer.
I dunno...just thinking out loud....

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan