homestead - [Homestead] meat from walmart

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] meat from walmart
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:26:52 -0400

[Not from Roy]

Most "meat" at Wal-Mart is injected with a solution to add weight. When it's frozen and then defrosted, it effects the texture. I can't imagine their solution, whatever it is, does much to add to the flavour. And it shrinks up more than you'd expect.

I think a lot of grocery stores do this.

Excuse me a minute while I chant ......"Organic*local*organic*local*organic*local*organic*local*organic*"

I'd rather pay $20 a pound for the organic steak raised across the street and eat it once a year than eat anything that comes out of a stock yard if you GAVE it to me. Ugh.

I've been in a Purdue factory in Maryland. I haven't eaten chicken from that day to this, it effected me so badly. If I can't make sure it's CLEAN and uncontaminated and not dying in terror, I am not interested.

Ugh. Just remembering it makes me want to puke again.

Think globally eat locally!