homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:31:05 EDT

> >The fault is not in the regulations, but in that they were not
> applied across the board.

I'd say applying them across the board is the very thing we DON'T want. If
someone is catching fish off the coast of Peru and it ends up in Tennessee, I
want those very strict regulations in place. But there is an Aquaculture
outfit (function of the community college) 12 miles from here in Mountain
City. I
should be able to go there and buy some fish from people I trust and an
operation I trust without them having to jump through all the hoops that
Mega-Fisheries and Gargantu-Packers have to when they are selling to WalMart.

It's Mega-Fisheries that want those impossible and byzantine regulations
imposed on the small fish ponds in rural Tennessee in order to squelch the
competition.

An example of this is that in this state the huge commercial bakeries (of
which I think there are only two left) had a law passed (bought the
legislators)
which required them to do a sampling and testing for residual chemical dough
conditioners on each batch. They point to the law and say, "See, we're being
responsible, we are subject to this law just like everyone else."

But a batch of bread at Colonial Bakeries is ten tons or more of dough.
Small bakeries whose batch is twenty pounds and don't use any chemical dough
conditioners anyway are required by law to do the test or have it done. It
makes
the bread so expensive that it puts most of them out of business.

So you see the last thing I'd want is for laws to be imposed evenly across
the board.

>And.... I do not think hunger or destitution will

> have anything to do with the remaking of our economy. The same force that
> caused this mess will pull us out of it..... greed.

It's just that when you are hungry and destitute, it sets the bar for greed
much lower.

James </HTML>