homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:00:40 -0400

Lynda wrote:
Well, that is the thing I miss about living up here in the mountains vs. living down on the coast. I'm surprised they can't get anything local in Maine. In CA, during whatever season, for example crab, you can find a stand on just about every corner.
We get local fish here at the foot of Penobscot Bay, either from the shop or from fishers direct, but they get scarcer every year and the price keeps going up but we get them whenever we want. Our fish (and lobster, crab, mussels as well, all called collectively fish here) come from the Penobscot River or Bay, from the Bay of Fundy (just a tad north of here) or from the Gulf of Maine, all of which are considered "local". I've never looked in the grocery store, no clue what they have there. Somewhere near here folks get farm-raised salmon but I don't like that stuff, texture awful. I think that comes from up by Machiasport or maybe as far as Eastport (up by NB/NS). In years we're allowed to fish for it, we get that ourselves.

Susan Jane, enjoying drying sliced apples in sunny Maine