homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:16:49 EDT

> >I trust my body and have now requested all friends to not invite me to
> red meat meals.

At lest that's something a person can rather easily live without. I'd wager
it's the mistreatment of commercial meat.

Even raising it ourselves, pork is a luxury food. Beef is very, very seldom.
We haven't raised a beef-cow in several years and the milk cow was AI'd with
sex specific semen to give us another heifer. Most of our red meat has been
chevon and venison. I'd love to have some sheep here, but I'm not paying
hobby prices for the lambs and so far that's all I've been able to find.

But even at that red meat is getting to be a rarity. Mostly it shows up in
tacos, tamales, soup, and such. One modest sized goat makes 500 tamales or
more. It isn't costing that much more to raise chicken, quail, and rabbits
but the cost of meat from large animals except our feral goats and wild deer,
is just beyond the mark now.<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local
shows what's
happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try
it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>