homestead - Re: [Homestead] meat from walmart

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] meat from walmart
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:52:48 -0400

[Not from Roy]

I read something that predated The Omnivore's Dilemma that did it for me, a long time ago, called "Vicious Circles". My Dad was the meat buyer for years and years and years for a variety of grocery chains (Grand Union, The Great A&P Tea Company, Marriott) hence my tour at a very very impressionable age of the Purdue factory, before "Uncle Frank" died.

Here's an complete non-sequitur on the meat industry; did you know Oscar Mayer was a little person? My Dad introduced us when I was really little, like maybe 8, and he was my size. I was fascinated. He was the first little person I'd ever met. When I was in hospital with scarlet fever, he sent the Wiener Mobile to visit me! *lol*

I often call my Dad for meat tips, when I find something special and don't know what to do with it. He keeps asking me things like, "What are you doing with THAT? You didn't get THAT in any grocery store. Where are you buying that stuff? What the hell are you eating? GO TO GIANT for god's sake, stupid kid." It floors him I won't go to a chain.

Anyway, it was me, not Roy. Roy is my darling Professor Flubber. If I served him fried cow pie he wouldn't notice except to say "Thank you, darling, for making dinner" and then he'd eat it and go off and take some other piece of equipment apart to *ahem* tune it up. : ) I do love the man.

Ray, I am not sure if the stuff you find in hams is the same. I imagine it is. Sounds like James would know. : )

Think globally eat locally!

I can't take credit for this, as much as I'd like to. I saw it on a tee shirt at Purity Ice Cream, here in holy-crap-I-can't-believe-I- live-in-such-a-great-place, Ithaca, NY....(ten fabulous square miles, surrounded by reality)

Celia, who can't be bothered to fix the e mail settings just yet, because it takes longer than the 30 seconds I usually sit here at any one time.