homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:35:11 -0800

Well, that is the thing I miss about living up here in the mountains vs. living down on the coast. I'm surprised they can't get anything local in Maine. In CA, during whatever season, for example crab, you can find a stand on just about every corner.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

My sister lives on an island in Maine, surrounded by fishermen and
lobstermen. She's constantly lamenting the fact that she can't get fresh
fish...her choices are the same frozen stuff that we have. All the fish
caught around her go to centralized packers and are taken away.

She told me last week that a couple of local fishermen are forming a
fish CSA....you buy a share and get some of whatever they catch. She
says the fish probably won't even be cleaned, and they won't do lobster
or crabs because they are too hard to keep alive and manage (we grew up
on a briny tidal river, and trapped and ate blueclaw crab all summer, so
she's disappointed in that). It will be interesting to see what kind of
fish she ends up with, and if it lasts long with people having to clean
their own fish.

Lynn Wigglesworth