homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fishing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fishing
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 12:42:22 -0400

Yeah, see, that is my city bias thinking showing through. I was raised in the burbs, and my trot line experience was on 'warm' lakes like Lake Seminole and Lake Eufala. As you know, they are shallower, being on the coastal plain. But when I think lake, I think of lakes like that, or like Allatoona or Lanier, which are in the piedmont of GA. Until a few years ago, I never realized that other lakes were different. But Georgia also has 5 large mountain reservoirs like you describe: Carters, which is the closest to me luckily, is the deepest, I think, Nottely, Blue Ridge, Burton, Chatuga. Due to the development restrictions around Carter's Lake, it would be a good place to put a line out. Those fjords are deep. There are only a few access points to the lake because as you say, the banks are steep. It is almost an hour away, though, and I would probably need to be camping in that area, which raises the cost of the fish.
Giving this more thought, do you ever catch walleye or other species?

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Tell me how you fish with the trot line. Do you bottom fish or use jugs
or just stealthily lay out the line near shore?

Here the lakes (when we happen to have any water in them) are in former deep mountain notches which makes for a lot of long fingers of the lake like coves, more like fjords. They will be a couple of hundred feet wide, a quarter of a mile long, and nearly as deep as they are wide. The bank going down to the water is steep. I mean 60 degrees sometimes. Catfish like to hang out where a creek joins the lake which is common in these 'fjords'.
--
"What Luck for Rulers that Men do not Think" Adolf Hitler
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net