homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:11:52 EDT

> >Tell me how you fish with the trot line. Do you bottom fish or use jugs
> or just stealthily lay out the line near shore?

Here the lakes (when we happen to have any water in them) are in former deep
mountain notches which makes for a lot of long fingers of the lake like
coves,
more like fjords. They will be a couple of hundred feet wide, a quarter of a
mile long, and nearly as deep as they are wide. The bank going down to the
water is steep. I mean 60 degrees sometimes. Catfish like to hang out
where
a creek joins the lake which is common in these 'fjords'. So the trotlines
are typically run from an old overhanging branch to nearly the other side of
cove.

In order to find the trotline, someone would literally have to know where it
was and be in a boat. Usually a small boat at that. I tend them exclusively
with a canoe. Haven't done it in years, but now's the time.

If we ever get any water back in the lake. It's more than 30' below its
normal level.<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR> </HTML>