homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:33:37 -0800

I wonder if they/anyone is looking at tallow. That is what Micky Ds used to use. I could care less about fast food and it is the rare occasion when we buy any but I did enjoy, many long years ago, the original Micky Ds fries.

Now, for those that never had the experience of the original Micky Ds fries, they used to actually use whole potatoes, dump them in a french fry cutter right there in the hamburger joints and then fry them up. They used a tallow based frying medium and the fries were, per whatever scientific tests were done, less oily than what you get with veggie oils.

the health food nuts AND vegans got their way and the tallow went bye-bye and now the fries are a heart attack in a bag.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry B" <liberty AT kaballero.com>

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/lard-the-new-health-food.

So lard apparently has gotten an undeserved bad rap the last thirty
years or so. Lard has less saturated fats than even butter, and a higher
smoking point than vegetable oils.