homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:58:40 -0800

When folks bring up the "don't" of diet, I have to shake my head. Grampa and the uncles and aunts had eggs and bacon, sausage or ham for breakfast almost everyday of their lives. They'd have clam fritters or cornbread or biscuits and gravey. If we were lucky, Gramma would make waffles. Pancakes of some nature were always being served. Pot roasts, fried chicken, chicken fried steaks

The only folks who died before 90 were involved in some sort of accident, which is not all that uncommon when folks work in the woods or head out in the Pacific Ocean to fish.

It isn't the carbs or the fats, it is where the heck the carbs and the fats come from AND if folks do or don't sit on their assets from morning to night.

Grampa and I walked an average of 2 miles everyday. Grampa was 81 when I was born. Uncle Billie frequently joined us. Uncle Billie was the eldest sibling and was in his 90s! They'd spent their lives working in the woods and Grampa ran a tramp steamer up to the Alaskan gold fields. They worked hard and eat accordingly!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>
I know, Jerry, you are refering to refined carbs and oils. Two things about
this. First, no one eats fried pies as a regular part of their diet, not if
they have to prepare and fry them themselves. It's a treat. I often read the
diet advice of how bad this to that meal in a restaurant is and how you can
choose healthier fare. What? Like you eat in a sit down restaurant twenty
times a week? It's so rare that I get to eat like that, I'll eat anything I
want.

As far as limiting carbs and oils (and again, I know you are referring to
*refined* products, which we almost never use), anyone who thinks they can
homestead on a subsistence farm on a diet without carbs and oils, I'd like to invite
them here for a week to try to do so. The elimination of oils and carbs and
fried foods is for the milk-toast type, a two-fisted luddite homesteader could
not suvive on such a diet. </HTML>