homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious diseases
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I know we have been down this trail previously, so I will say this..

I don't know that I would say "most geneticists", but you have a point.

There was a time when I placed more 'faith' in those genetics than I do
presently.  In no way am I making any statement about genetic
predispositions or using genetic heritage as some kind of excuse for not
eating and living a healthy lifestyle.  I am not blaming my afflictions
on genetics.
Things change, genes change, and people change. :)
At 47, I am finally starting to see the light, i.e. I am making more of
an effort to do those things that I knew all along were right, but just
never did.  For example, I quit smoking; I drink on the order of a
gallon of water a day, usually more; I eat a lot more fruit and veggies
than I used to eat; I'm riding a bike for cardio; for all practical purposes,
I have given up soda.  Doing that is simply
being more responsible and taking more control of how I live.

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

This has come up before, Akka, and I don't bring it up to dispute your view,
only to say that"there are more things, in heaven and earth, Horatio, than
are
dreamt of in your philosophy."  That is, you have a considerable credence in
genetics.  However most geneticists are the epitome of the person whose only
tool is a hammer and so everything looks like a nail to them.

I am fascinated, although not surprised, by the recent research that shows
that our genes are not fixed.  Although identical twins have identical (or
nearly identical) genes at birth, by the time they are adults their genetic
makeup
has diversified from each other.  The current thinking is that our genes
change and adapt to our environment, diet, what we do, and even what we
think.
There are more things at play than genes.