homestead - Re: [Homestead] More Obama stuff, sorry

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More Obama stuff, sorry
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:09:24 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Walton wrote:

> I agree with you on supporting the president, other than on one point.
> I never felt that Bush was elected to his first term. I lived in
> Florida that that time and my feeling was that the Supreme Court
> appointed him.

Since you lived in Florida, and you feel like the Supreme Court took the
control out of your hands, what did you do about it?  Did you protest?
Did you write letters to your reps?  Did you organize demonstrations?  Did
you, before the vote, rally all your Democrat friends and urge them to vote?
Did you write a web blog to draw attention to the "theft"?  In a not so great
world, our responsibility must go further than just a vote if something is
truly not right, and it seems that you felt it was truly not right.  If you
did not do any of that stuff, then you did not exercise all of your rights
and responsibilities.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't have taken the time to
do it either, but it's kind of like if you don't put your heart into your
game, don't gripe about getting picked last for the team.

> I used to see lots and lots of Bush 00 and 04 bumper stickers. Most
> have been secretly pulled off.

C'mon...get real.  You can say that for any two term president when they are
a lame duck and it starts to look like the other party will win.  Bumper
stickers come off or are covered over all the time.  Political will changes,
personality generally doesn't.  Bumperstickers are like desktop wallpaper,
most people change it now and then.

> I do not think that most of these people that live on the spam emails
> and rumors are going to stop if he gets elected. I think it will be a
> real issue for his term. I'm not sure why he brings so much of this
> behavior out in people. IMO, there have been many more distasteful
> candidates in my adult life.

I don't see any more spam emails or jokes or slams towards McCain or Obama
than any other presidential candidate or president.  Perhaps you are just
more sensitive to them because you care more deeply for Obama than for past
candidates?
And no, it won't stop.  It never does.  Just last week I got that old Clinton
body count email again.  So Barry Dunham, Barry Soetoro, and Baracky O<g>
will be around for a while, I think.

Akka B