homestead - Re: [Homestead] @ akka

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] @ akka
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:59:11 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Walton wrote:
> I sure don't think that anyone bullies on this list. I also don't
> think that most people here have agreed with any of my pro Obama
> posts. I feel like more people disagree with me. It's still
> interesting to see what other homestead minds think.

Yes, it is interesting.  Of the 25 or so regular posters, I'm guessing that
2/3's or more are supporting Obama, something I still can't quite get warm
and fuzzy with.  These are people I respect and admire and have come to think
of as family(you, Moon, and a host of others), so if they are strongly
committed to something, I feel like I have to examine why, analyze and
re-analyze what it is and look for that 'golden something' that I am
apparently missing.  These insights will be important later when he becomes
president.

Some Democrats (and notice that I give you the respect of calling you
Democrats instead of liberals or some other name)on this list were so excited
and hopeful when the party took control of Congress a few years ago.  It was
all about hope and change.  Here we are two years later and I don't see much
difference.   It has been business as usual.  I know you will say that Bush
has thwarted this or that, but that only flies so far.
I kind of hope Obama is elected.  Then the Dems can control it all.  Then,
the excuse will be they are dealing with the Bush war debt legacy.  It's the
standard excuse.  Bush dealt with the Clinton legacy, selling our technology
to the North Koreans and others...

I am sorry if my questioning seems to be attacking Obama, however, I won't
bend over backwards to apologize because for YEARS, literally years, I have
listened to and read and deleted the political rants and arguments on this
list.  I like throwing things out there to get y'all opinion on it.  I have
been silent until this last year or so about my own opinions.  I have tried
to stay out of things-tried to veer the conversations back to homesteading
topics, etc.   But for whatever reason, some kind of switch inside of me has
turned on and I have started joining the fray.  I am learning about all kinds
of stuff that I could not have accessed alone through Googling.  Each one of
you brings me a piece of the puzzle.   If you each researched one thing, I
get 25 things to think about, and I do, very seriously.  The recent
difference is that now I am talking and questioning, too. Perhaps it has
rocked the boat a bit.  This is the second time recently
that I felt personally insulted, maybe not exactly bullied, but definitely
attacked.  Since I am in the minority, apparently, I feel as though some are
playing whack a mole and trying to hammer me back down into silence.    I may
have committed the cardinal sin and sided with Bush on something, who knows.
;)
 You should know that I just quit my job because I got tired of being that
freakin' mole that got whacked, so I did a bit of whacking back before I
left.  I may not be as smart as some of you are-I may not be as well read or
as well studied-or as well educated, but I do have an opinion as well as a
pretty good intuition, and I will be expressing that because I can.  I think
that I have generally been respectful of the opinions of others and would ask
the same courtesy.

> I remember people accusing others of "Bush Bashing" on this list a few
> years ago. All the Bush supporters would try to shout down any post
> that disagreed with the illegitimate president and his illegitimate
> war.

I believe I was a Bush supporter in that debacle. I'll fess up to it. I don't
think I ever demeaned anyone for bashing bush though. In my own defense, that
was before I learned what I know today about electronic voting.  This race is
going to be close, and apparently the powers that be like Obama this time
around, so I predict problems this time in Republican states..and this time,
the chips will fall and the Dems will collect them.

> Now with the Obama candidacy, if someone suggests that we look at
> issues rather than rumors, it's shouting down. Or its him pulling the
> race card.

Issues, issues, issues...Obama himself hasn't said anything of real substance
on the 'issues'.   ;) Just yanking your chain, Rob, just yankin' the chain.
lol
Dammit.  I knew it would get me...just as soon as I said I am endowed, here,
I have to be blonde and ask what "shouting down" means.  I assume belittling,
but meaning doesn't fit in the sentence. Don did not belittle anyone, he just
suggested we talk about issues, therefore I am confused.  I also don't have a
clue as to how the last race card sentence relates to the previous sentence.
You lost this blonde on that  whole quote there.

> I have a freaky theory that all of the ardent Bush supporters that
> have become so silent as of late are now secretly dreaming up Obama
> rumors and passing them around.

Who here is an ardent Bush supporter that is currently silent?
I think most, at best, are like me in that while we may not agree with some
of the stuff he has done, we are still hunkered down, respectfully holding
our collective breaths until the mob mentality of Bush bashing wanes and
until he turns over the football.
What you say about people making up rumors is pretty malicious to accuse
someone of, don't you think?

Akka B