homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cheese Press

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cheese Press
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Walton wrote:

> I've seen some instructions to bind the sides of cheese with a towel
> in order to hold it in a round when pressing. I suspect that this
> would be the way to go if you don't have a mold. Also would probably
> make some more interesting shapes.
>
> I'm making some killer feta, mozzarella. With the press I've done
> italian type hard cheeses so far this year. Once in a while a make a
> soft chevre type cheese, but that really does not float my boat. I
> intend to make some cheddar type cheeses here soon..

Realize a few things: (this is from memory)
1. This arrangement will work for a while, with certain cheeses. (I have a
similar setup using bricks)
2. Using bricks or uniform weights will allow you to calculate psi, which
will be important for some cheeses.  You buy little devices to measure psi
for cheesemakers.  I never got that serious about it, preferring to stay on
the intermediate level, estimating psi.
3.  If you don't have a root cellar, make an area where you can control the
humidity for aging cheeses.  Cheddars need this-they don't age well in the
fridge due to the moisture's not right.
4. Invest in some good cultures.  They keep frozen for years.
5. Don't forget about smoking cheeses....mmmmm
6. I made molds out of plastic containers(like Tupperware, Rubbermaid) by
heating up a skewer and melting holes in the sides and bottom-worked ok
7.  I am so freakin' jealous of you!!!  I want goats and I want them NOW.

Akka B