homestead - [Homestead] the frightening part

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] the frightening part
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:45:23 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:
.....He created enough turmoil in the first 4 years and
enough people still believed in him that he got another 4.
In a way, I'm still a bit stunned that the guy ever got so far as the presidency, that anyone would vote for him. Among other things, I remember hearing that tape of the conversation between him and Rove, well before the election, when he (Bush) was talking about how he if could just get the evangelical Christians in his pocket he'd have the country in the palm of his hand and laid out a rough plan for it. While it's quite true that I could never be counted among the evangelical Christians but I thought to myself at the time, surely no Christian would vote for the guy, given his history. (Actually I can't think of any faith group that would be proud to count him among them). Could never happen, said I to self. Said my acquaintances to each other. People won't put up with that bragging about what a manipulator he is. He has worse than no experience, isn't successful at business, whose only political 'experience' has made more enemies than friends, has considerable trouble telling the truth, doesn't even seem to have the idea that the people of this country are anything but puppets, we thought. He clearly can't read, we agreed: not a good sign.... (At least it explained why his mother's public work concentrated on children's literacy). I certainly didn't think any Christian would take that sitting down, much less vote for him. He was right about one thing: they turned out to be very gullible. Now a lot of us are left wondering: just exactly what comprises the set of values these evangelical Christians voted on? He certainly hasn't displayed the values I've associated with Christianity.......and am also wondering who went around suturing their mouths shut after the election, all those folks who blindly voted for him and his "Christian" values and quietly watched him give a pretty poor 'Christian' performance with nary a peep.
Then the second time.....what in the world? One really has to wonder how dense folks can be......this whole county was in a state of shock the day after he was voted in the second time; I remember going to the bank in Belfast that day to find everyone redfaced, puffy, and silent. I had to drive to NH later that day and fought all the way there to keep my mind on my driving, only to find the family I went to visit in a deep funk.....My European friends were equally incredulous. I'll never, ever, forget the reaction from them when he said he'd "looked into his eyes and liked what I saw there", of Putin.
I still feel it, and still can hardly believe it happened, except that I watched it, and felt it, and still feel it....Scary thing is, since it made, and makes, no sense to me, now I realize just how obtuse the minds in this country can be, and how easily manipulated they can be. Frightening indeed.

Susan Jane, in Maine, who maybe grew up with too many brothers......