homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:40:21 -0500

Look, I've said for years that we should try closing the schools for a
few years and see if it made a difference. I started saying that when
I was teaching graduates of the Chicago Public Schools who had somehow
made it to the U. of Illinois at Chicago to write. Twelve years of
schooling had given them little in the way of book larning, but they
had plenty of life experience. In my classes, they came right along
and left with about the level of writing ability that they might have
had had they actually learned anything in school previously.

So, I'm well aware that public schools can be, at best, a waste of
everybody's time (except the teachers and administrators get paid
though it might be less damaging all round to just give them the money
and let them stay home).

Not all schools are as bad as CPS, and as I say, I've seen classrooms
where the kids give every indication of enjoying what they're doing.
Considering that unschooling is not likely to become the main choice
any time soon, I'm happy that classrooms are getting better.

Marie