homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:20:29 -0800

I'm not James and I don't play him on television but I can answer that. <g> Mind numbing boredom. Teachers who were stupid to the bone. Teachers who were petty little fools.

Example: Kindergarten. Teacher: Please tell the class what your name is and where you are from. Moi: Ma name is Lynda and I'm from here." Teacher: No dear, where did you move here from. Moi: Eureka. Teacher; No dear, I mean, where were you born. Moi: San Francisco. All of my answers said with a *thick* Georgia accent. I got sent home with one of those obnoxious notes pinned to my dress. Totally embarassing.

Example: Kindergarten. Teacher: Now, we're all going to learn how to write out name on our paper. Moi: I put my name on my paper. (I had written it in cursive) I got sent home with one of those obnoxious notes pinned to my dress, AGAIN! Why, because I could write cursive! That was a no-no.

Example: Third grade. Principle comes into classroom and takes our teacher out of the class. A rather obnoxious old woman stays in her place. Our class is dismissed at the end of the day and were told we wouldn't have class for the rest of the week. When we came back, our teacher had become totally depressed and totally unhappy. She'd been told she had to have everyone say the *new* pledge each day or she would be fired. She was also told that she had to say the new pledge OR else!

Example: Fourth grade. Teacher: Lynda, please do problem [whatever the heck number it was] on the blackboard. Moi: Wrote the problem as it appeared in the book and then wrote my answer. Teacher: No, you have to show the work and how you got the answer. Moi: Totally confused because I'd always done long division in my head. Teacher: Lynda, sit over there and during recess I'll teach you how to do the problems the correct way. HELLO! the answer was correct. The answers were always correct. But I didn't do it the "right way."

Example: Science class, 8th grade. Mr. Boriolo to be exact. Just moved to new school district. I made the mistake of asking a student next to me where they were in the science book. The teacher made a big production out of making fun of my name and encouraging the class to laugh at me because I'd be caught talking. I mean, beside the fact that the new school district was a year behind the school district I'd just left and they insisted that I retake all the classes I'd already taken because I hadn't taken them in the "right" year!

I can go on and on about my experiences and those of others. The mind numbing boredom and the absolute idiocy of most things that go on in classrooms. I ignored them and did what I wanted and if I got in deep doggie doo because of it my parents read the schools the riot act!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I fought it. From six years old on, I fought it. </HTML>

But what did you fight?