homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:06:34 EDT

> >In what way are you involved? Do you assist parents who are unfamiliar
> with the concept?

I wasn't neglecting the question. Like so many things touched on in this
thread, if only I could convey the reality that our society at large, and
most of
you here as a product of that society, are hopelessly bound and fettered,
stewed and marinated in the precept of schooling. So much so that it has
become
undiscernable background noise. For me to answer that question, and several
others, with any hope of conveying anything useful and having a meaningful
exchange on the subject, I would needs have to find a way to turn down the
volume
of that background noise even if for just a few moments so you could hear the
silence behind it.

By your leave, I'd like to try to do that first. Although it is a pity you
aren't a LotR fan because there is a scene in the flick and the book where
Gimli (whom I resemble) calmly contemplates their futile plans to storm the
gates
of Mordor and says, "Certain doom. Small chance of success. What are we
waiting for!" The propsects of cracking the shell of schooling are very slim
indeed. Marie talks about bright smiling faces in writing class absolutely
unable
to see the extent to which schooling has shaped our thinking and limited the
scope of our perceptions.

None the less, you might find it amusing. Might. </HTML>