homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:18:45 -0500

>> >I think that's an assertion without evidence.
>
> It most certainly is not. In Massachusetts, the first state to have
> compulsory attendance, the decade before the institution of mandatory public
> education, the literacy rate was estimated at 96%. It has never been that
> high since.

I'm skeptical when I see statements like this. How do you estimate the
level of literacy in retrospect. For that matter, how do you estimate
current levels of literacy? I would guess that most kids read and
write at least as well as they need to to text message each other and
play computer games.

Marie